Sunday, May 3, 2009

Life With Parkinson's- Post #3 "Our Ballroom Dancing Night"

Last night was 'ballroom dancing night' for my husband and me. There was a time when I couldn't move well enough to walk a straight line and I didn't consider for a moment the possibility of dancing. My husband introduced me to the world of ballrom when we met 11 years ago. My physical abilities came and went and returned again. This, of course, is now a seemingly never ending cycle. It is present now more than it is gone. I preserve my strength and prepare myself all week to be able to have a successful 'ballroom dancing night'. It does more for my emotional and physical well being than any other form of exercise or activity. It is a great love for me and a big part of my life; even with Parkinson's. I have to work hard on my form, relaxing my tense muscles (not easy), executing dance steps in such a way that does not draw attention to my weaker, shakier appendages. Most of the general group of people that attend our dances are not aware that I have Parkinson's. Our closer circle of dance friends that I share this information with seem to be dumbfounded that it could be true and are very supportive of my efforts.



Granted, to dance I need to have taken my meds just so that day, have rested the entire day of a dance night, have proper, supportive dance shoes and attire that is warm enough and easy to move in. I also need my dance partner, my sweet, wonderful husband, who makes it all possible.



Last night was like many others. We danced to a live band for about 3 hours, socializing inbetween dances. I now serve as the president of the club so my dance nights are also filled with some administrative responsibilities that I share with an excellent group of individuals who make up our governing board.



We danced waltz's, fox trots, chacha's, rumba's, and west coast swings. When I am on the dance floor, I (mostly) forget I have Parkinson's. I'm like Cinderella; finally experiencing that long awaited, exquisite dance with my prince charming.




The late night and the rigorous exercise make for a tough morning after. It's slow going for the first few hours. However, this morning my hands worked fairly well even before my morning meds kicked in- a very good sign. The emotional high I get from dancing always brings back a higher level of function to my body; the mind/body thing. It is one of my greatest weapons for battling the Parkinson's monster. It is consistently successful in restoring mental and physical stability. So I keep doing it. I get frustrated as I subconsciously compare my sometimes awkward, unsteady posture or steps to other dancers who are free of such a disease. I envy their energy. So I dance in front of the mirror to correct anything that has a Parkinson's look. Periodically I have a friend video us doing a dance so I can watch myself and again make corrections to details I see that are a bit on the uncoordinated side. I have improved a lot by being able to watch myself. My eyes are always watching other dancers, storing away techniques, postures and attitudes.




I love to choreograph and teach where I am qualified. I hope to have opportunities in the future to do more of it. My dear husband always supports and follows my desires and dreams. I am blessed to have him.

No comments: