Monday, May 4, 2009

Life with Parkinson's Post #5- Discovering Lifelong Friends


This is a tribute and a huge, loving thank you to my special friends Michy (pronounced Mickey)and his wife and dance partner BJ. They came to Modesto a year ago and are leaving all ready to follow Michy's employment and education opportunities. They have left an indellible mark in the dancing community and on my heart.
They taught me and my husband what excellent ballroom instructors look like, helped me immensely improve my dancing skill, shared literally everything they have with us, brought many positive ideas to our ballroom dance club that needed a facelift, but most importantly they reached out in friendship which will last a lifetime. They are moving to the east coast, so far! But I am consoled in that friends are only an email or a phone call away. Hopefully they will return in two years when Michy's contracted time is up. Hopefully, hopefully...
BJ and I share not only a love of ballroom dancing but we are also both artists, and love to sew. She paints exquisitely. Their humor, wisdom and general cheerful dispositions are contagious and they make friends easily wherever they go. I'm sure there is someone in Virginia who needs their friendship as much as I did and do.
And as a parting gesture of honor and good faith to me and my husband, they have offered to give us a teaching opportunity that they started; teaching ballroom dance to a group of lovely people in the area who still want to learn more. They informed their class tonight that they are leaving soon and introduced us. It means a lot for them to have enough confidence in us to carry on what they started. We will do our best to be somewhere close to their level of teaching, communicating and spreading cheer.
Not long after we met, one night at a dance, they asked my husband and I to share a dance with them. I am so self conscious about my Parkinson's gait, etc. and I don't usually dance with anyone but my husband. I told them about Parkinson's. Michy just looked at me and said, "Ok." Then we had a dance together. I felt comfortable and secure and I don't think he realizes how he has helped my self esteem on the dance floor. BJ taught me some valuable skills in the west coast swing.
Thank you Michy and BJ!!! (I'm crying) . It's not fair you have to leave so soon. (still crying). You'll never know how deeply you have influenced my life. I will never be as graceful as BJ as long as I have Parkinson's but she always makes me feel like I am. (crying harder now).
Many things we go through in our lives like illness are made bearable because of loving friends. These two wonderful souls have made my life a little more bearable. I look forward to many years of friendship yet to come...
Here's to life... and friends....




No comments: