Monday, December 13, 2010

A Journey of One Day #5 Making Progress

It is day 31 into my journey to no drugs and no PD. I am now off of all medications for PD. My withdrawal symptoms have not been bad compared to some people’s experiences I have read about. My movement is still very slow. But I can still feed myself and go to the bathroom by myself. Thank Goodness! We hired a lady to come help take care of me during the day when I am alone, and to help with housework and meals. I am still doing weekly trips to Oakland for Bowen Therapy. I do daily Jin Shin Jitsyui Therapy by myself along with meditation and  relaxation. The relaxation comes easy since I can’t do much else any way.

My feeling is that in a few weeks I will be moving again, pretty close to normal. Its still takes tremendous faith and self control to keep my fears in check. But on this score God has assured me that it will be as I have said.

I find that I am surprised that I am not more restless being constantly in the house. But I am actually enjoying it. This is due to the fact that my brain is no longer being driven by adrenaline. For probably the first time my body is learning to exist and move with all the correct brain chemicals. It could take another six months for my brain and body to be completely in sync. I also see how my thought processes are also now being triggered in the correct way. In the morning when I look at my face in the mirror I see softer eyes and they seem more real.

I shared my intentions of quitting PD drugs with my neurologist last week. I was pleasantly surprised at her reaction. She told me after I had explained it all to her that she thought it was reasonable. She asked me to stay in touch with her and report my progress. I thanked her for being open and for really listening to me. She said if she were in my place, she may do the same thing. She knows that I am the kind of person that needs to look for what’s best for me and my health and she said as my doctor she will be supportive and help me in any way she can. The big kicker here was when she said she would like to share my experience and knowledge with some of her other patients who are at about the same place I was in dealing with their PD. This made me very happy. Thank you Dr. Hansrote!  I am keeping an extensive journal of each day during this process. This could be very helpful for others. It is how I was able to safely come to this point; by reading what others had done. I will be forever grateful to those individuals that were part of the Parkinson’s Recovery Project in Santa Cruz, CA. And also to John Coleman, a Naturopath in Australia for his work with Parkinson’s recovery. You could call these people pioneers of sorts.

I have come to the conclusion that one’s journey is always built upon another’s journey. That’s why we are here on this earth; to help one another along the way. I believe my journey will see brighter days ahead.  I hope to be able to travel to Utah the first week of February when my grandson, Beckham, is born.  My second grandaughter was born December 9.  She is named Afton.  These two sweet, noble spirits, being born at such a time, are a symbol of my ‘new life’ ahead.  We’ll be starting out together!!

Afton 4 hours old

                                               Beckham  ^shopping with Mom

MERRY   CHRISTMAS !

1 comment:

Chad and Clair said...

I like that picture of the three of us! Keep up the good work and the positive attitude. I know you will get through this hard time just like you have gotten through every other hard time. You are a strong woman. Love you.