Monday, November 29, 2010

A Journey of One Day #3


Friday, November 26     The day after Thanksgiving

According to research in the recent neurology world, just thinking hopeful thoughts helps your brain to produce dopamine; the thing my brain lacks.
And according to the work and writings of Janice Walton-Hadlock, the newest pioneer (in my estimation) in conclusive PD patient help, dopamine has it’s use and need in many parts of the brain, not just the motor area. She also proves that the marvelous human brain makes no mistakes. It does whatever is necessary to protect itself to keep our bodies functioning at whatever level. It is man that makes mistakes with his/her actions, words, thoughts, with harmful drugs, etc.  And if a brain which has taken significant injury due to emotional trauma and harmful drugs, it will need very specific actions to recover. The key here is that it is possible to recover to a certain point, depending on the person’s particular body and situation.  This is happening. PD patients are recovering to the point of normalcy. Mind you, they are few and they are not spotlighted by anyone.  It is against the law to be cured of disease. It makes more than one medical professional nervous when you start talking about recovery from Parkinson’s.

However, these few individuals are speaking up and speaking out to find others who may have the courage and desire to recover as well.  It is happening!  BUT………………..it is a long and arduous nightmare if not approached correctly. This process is understood by very few.

To undergo this transformation from PD to ‘normal’ one must make a complete lifestyle change. This change is to allow the ‘adrenaline’ brain to be turned off and the ‘dopamine’ brain to re-awaken. These changes for me include doing nothing but focusing on relaxing my body, clearing my mind of the past negative ‘things’, sleeping, meditating, connecting with God, laughing, doing whatever is necessary to develop the dopamine brain back into action. This process in the brain of awakening dormant dopamine activity can take 6 months or longer after clearing the brain of all drugs. 

90% of my existence in the next 6 months will be in my home, chemical free, controlled temperature, a quiet, spiritual atmosphere, safe and nurturing. This is what I need as well as some Bowen Therapy and some specific nutrition. My family knows they will be functioning without me in a manner.
While I wait for native dopamine to build, I experience hard moments which require extreme faith in the future and knowledge that God is beside me.
For example, yesterday I had 2 hours of time where I could move freely without struggling. The rest of the 22 hours I sat or lay motionless or shuffled around at a snail’s pace.  You should have seen me trying to tell my husband how to make a pie for Thanksgiving. Funny….

This is my only alternative to the horrors of dyskinesia caused by PD drugs. I’m at the point of no return. It’s only forward without the drugs.
My hands are shutting down now as my body uses the available dopamine for things like breathing and maintaining body temperature. Movement is on the back burner until further notice.

We spent Thanksgiving eating and watching old movies. Relaxed, loved, focused on ‘hope’. I feel my brain and body changing, no longer driven by adrenaline. It’s like James Brown’s song……..I feeeeeeel good………..sort of.

Here are some things that give me hope-


my newly remodeled living room and our kitty named Whisker’s

beautiful birds that visit my backyard, large and small
 brilliant sunsets


I’ve been typing with one finger for some time now. Time for meditation and sleep even though I only got up 2 hours ago……

No comments: