Friday, March 5, 2010

Life With Parkinson's in my 40's- #28 Mission Accomplished- Slowly

This is my attempt at a  'do-it-yourself-low-budget'  kitchen makeover. Combine the low budget part and slow, unpredictably functioning hands and you have a sort of dryly humorous adventure.
For the most part, I love to paint- anything. So I do.  It's great to be the Mom!  My sweet husband follows my schedule more patiently than any other human being.  I couldn't have done it without his help, patience and love.  This is sounding sappy all ready.  You have to understand, our kitchen has been a sadly, dark room for too many years and it has been such a lift to my spirits and even to the spirit of our house to give the room a new, brighter look.  It was beyond my 'painting' skills to do all that needed to be done. Aren't I lucky to have a husband that not only dances and creates lasers but is very talented with a piece of wood and a saw and a sander.  He sanded and modified the cabinet doors and I painted everything. He re-hung the doors.  I knew it would be a huge undertaking for me, the 'Parkie'. So we have worked in stages, slow stages I might add.  We began in November of last year.  This is what the kitchen looked like before we started.

My sweetie with his sanding gear on. Doesn't he look like something from outer space or some cave exploration?  You wouldn't believe the amount of sawdust that this created.  We tried our best to tarp off the rest of the house and he had the vaccum on with the suction working the entire time he sanded. The doors he took outside to the patio and his table saw and we had sawdust outside also......For the last two months I've had sawdust footprints throughout the house.

The entire contents of the cabinets and drawers we were working on had to be relocated to another room.  Now that was fun.  When we needed a plate or spoon, we went to the bedroom to get it.  Or a pan, etc. It made for some interesting meals.

We made breakfast (toaster waffles) in the bathroom one morning when Ariana had a friend sleepover....


This is where all of our pots and pans lived for about a week.  And the buckets were my painting pedestals for the cabinet doors.  The buckets, by the way, are full of wheat (one of our emergency food storage items).

I worked on the painting as often as my hands and brain would allow.  Four and a half months later, we are 3/4 finished.  We still have to do the bottom half of one side of the kitchen.  It will have to wait until after my back surgery.  Here is a picture of the finished side.  I am so happy about how it turned out that I couldn't wait to blog about it.
Not bad for Parkie with a bad back.  I owe my success, as I said, to my husband and my daughter, Ariana, for being patient and helping me and taking orders so sweetly.  Thanks Darling, Thanks Ariana.
There is a little more light in my life.....it is helping to heal the dark places.....in my house and in my soul.

2 comments:

Chase and Nichole said...

I love all the white cabinets. It looks so much better! One suggestion I have is to get rid of the pink, I think a neutral color or yellow would look really good in your kitchen, that is one day down the road when you feel like a change and painting again!

Chad and Clair said...

This was quite a process...glad you are almost done. And it does look so much brighter!