Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Life With Parkinson's in my 40's- #23 Beach Bums and Dancers

This month as we tried to decide on what we could afford as far as recreational activities and date nights, we had fun without spending a whole lot of money. The first choice for me is always dancing and/or the beach. We invited three dear ladies who we know from church to accompany us to our monthly ballroom dance with a live 'swing era' band. They are all widows and have really affected our lives with their kindness, wisdom, and pure love of Christ that they exhibit. They were thrilled and thoroughly enjoyed the music from their 'younger days'. One of them danced with Mr. Tracy.


*********Our dear friends- Wanda, Joanne and Dee-




I wore a dress that I had made previously and only worn once. This picture is of us on this night. I love red. People notice it and I just feel like I dance better in a dress like this. I'm sure I don't dance better but it feels like it. I've had a touchy week with PD. I always go on faith that I'm going to move well enough to dance without making a fool of myself. Most of the dance attendees do not know that I have PD and that's the way I like it. I took it very easy the entire two days before the dance night, got enough sleep, tried (just tried) to eat well. And on the day of the dance I time my medications just right as to give me peak utilization of it in the later evening. The atmosphere is fun, we have so many good friends there, the music is so uplifting, and dancing with my prince charming is so fulfilling.


********Our dance friends and wonderful people- Sal and Mary


*********John and Karen, Joe and Mary-



I never get enough dancing. I never last the full 3 hours anymore, but close. I wore a new pair of ballroom shoes and ended up with a few blisters but it's always worth it. Dance night was Saturday. Then on Monday morning, Labor Day, we took off at 8:00 am for Monterey. It's always a longer drive than I remember. But it's always worth it. We missed the low tide but still managed to climb out a ways and get some spectacular pictures. For all of my pics from this day you can go to flickr.com.


*********Me and my prince charming!



**********The girls!



*********More of me and the prince; a change of costume for me-



Getting ready to leave; walking on the beach is so peaceful even with noisy birds and tons of kids playin.


Now this is one of my luckier shots. Notice the sailboat, then the dolphin, and the birds feeding on fish; it's so cool!

There was spectacular surf. And there was also some daring surfers. I'll post those videos later.

These sea pelicans were performing thrilling aerial stunts. I could have watched them for days.

Our world is so beautiful. Our families are so beautiful. Life is good even when bad things happen. It's what you make of the 'things' that counts.


I was so thrilled to get lucky and catch these beautiful dolphins;the most beautiful, intelligent animals swimming the oceans.



Wishing you pleasant days, many wonderful memories and much love-

1 comment:

Chad and Clair said...

I really wish we could have gone with you. It looked like so much fun. But Monterey always is isn't it? I love reading your blog. It always makes my day a little better. You are so positive! I have a great family!